Friday, December 16, 2011

Boot Re-Paint


This morning I found myself with a bit of a dilemma. I've mentioned previously that funds are pretty tight around here right now so there's not a lot of spending going on. When I checked the mail though, my lovely aunt had sent me a Christmas present of some cash to buy myself something. I found myself torn on what to get. My old black boots, the only ones I have, have seen much better days and were starting to get pretty beat up. I wanted to get a new pair but I also wanted to get my unruly hair cut. Well, the hair won out and I'm glad it did since I feel much better now, but that still left me with my old boots. I've been trying to give a lot of my old stuff new life so I thought why not my old boots too? 

I pulled out some white paint, a couple small brushes, and dragged my boots out to the livingroom.


They're pretty scuffed up though you can't see it so well in this photo. I apologize for the quality of these pictures but it's been a long day and I didn't want to pull out the big fancy camera. ;) 

I pulled up some interesting swirly designs on-line all intent on copying them but in the end I just wound up free-handing on some patterns that I liked. I'm pretty darn happy with the result:


They aren't perfect but I like the little imperfections. These took me about 2 hours hunched over with a tiny brush but I think it was worth it. 


You can see more of the scratches above but at this point, I don't think anyone will notice. Hopefully I can dazzle them with the white swirls and whisk away before they notice that the boots are still beaten up. ;) 


In the end, I think it's a pretty good overhaul that cost me nothing but time and I'm looking forward to wearing them out. I'm going to coat the design with a good waterproofing mix to keep it from getting damaged and I think they'll be super cute with my white tights and black sweater dress! All I need now is a lovely fleur dis lis black and white umbrella. 

Hrm. I might just have to start looking for white umbrellas....










Candace Creations

5 comments:

  1. You should put these on a link party so people can see how clever you are !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty cool! Loved the swirl patterns you've used. I did this in black paint to a fluorescent orange sweatshirt I was gifted and had to wear. With the black swirls it wasn't nearly so "rude." How do you think the paint will hold up on your boots? Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I agree that you should post all your creativity here! I started blogging to spare my family all my "I made this" emails. But sharing my stuff online has also lead to some sweet orders for custom art, which makes me create more. I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turned out so cute! You are a great free hand artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Those are super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the lifeblood of any blogger and I cherish every one I get. I would love to know what you think about my post as well as a little about you too! Please feel free to share your thoughts with me. Also, I promise word verification is off. ;)